RE: Mark's massive elec. backup system

no no, Mark may have it figured right.  Switching power supplies in today's
computers don't have input transformers and actually prefer the root mean
square of the modified sinewave.  Even the fans run off of DC so that isn't
a problem.

system (opinion of Tripplite technician).

> Always having admired Mark's massive elec. backup system for his
computers (images on his website), I started investigating the same for my
own use.

> (Of course all we have to go on with his system is what we see in the
images and the descriptions.)

> What I discovered: Apparently he is using a TrippLite inverter connected
to a surge strip to power his system(s) 24/7/365. He has a massive bank of
batteries to supply the inverter in case of power outage.

> I called and asked a Tripplite tech to take a look at the system on the
web (a second level up tech). His comments ? Beyond the electronic rocket
science stuff he started with that I did not understand, he said that
Mark's system is essentially different than your standard UPS system.

> This is because a standard UPS system supplies perfect sinewave 120 v
power most all the time taking the power from the uitility company, and
only rarely does the UPS kick in with batteries to provide modified sine
wave power for short periods.

> On the other hand, as the images show Mark's system pulls modified sine
wave power from the inverter 24/7/365. According to the tech, he said that
it's iffy at best, that you have to consult the power supply manufacturers
in your computers to be certain they approve. It's because even modified
sine wave starts breaking down under heavier loads (like during an extended
power outage), and then it becomes more like square wave, which can cook
your computer power supply transformers, etc.  Even if not loaded hard,
modified sine wave still produces some pretty nasty harmonics that can mess
with your electronics.

> The safer solution ? For a few dollars more you buy the Tripplite Smart
Online SU series which produce a 24/7/365 perfect sine wave whether on
battery power or on 120 volt utility co. power. Then you just add an
external battery source as those do allow that. (This is what I just
bought).