From: Ivo Karindi [mailto:ivo@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 2:25 PM
To: Gray, Gabriel
Cc: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Monte Carlo Simulation of DrawDowns

Well, the MCS is telling you the probabilities you will face given the
properties of your strategy.  The fact that backtesting shows only a
certain amount of DD means nothing.  Consider these 2 series of
trades:

$200
-$100
$200
-$100
$200

$200
$200
$200
-$100
-$100

In the second case, is this strategy really doing a worse job than the
first one because it's maximum drawdown is twice as much?  When applying
the rest of the relevant statistics (% profitable, avg win / avg loss,
profit factor, etc.) the strategies look identical! Probably the case is
that your backtest is showing you the first scenario, but MCS tells you
that also the second scenario is very likely to happen given your
system's parameters.

Ivo Karindi