Kumho 852 vs. Kumho 857, tires that is. And how about them Michelins?

In my two week quest to find the right tires for my 1983 Westphalia, I had
the following email exchanges with a
Kumho tech support man.  I'm copying them into this message for those who
are interested.  Kumho does make the 857 in 205/75/14 size but unfortunately
seems to be out of them at the moment.  I'm waiting breathlessless for the
boat to come in...could be this week, could be next month, sez Kumho.

 What a frustrating trial this has been just to find tires for my car.  Not
one tire store(out of almost 10) has called me back with information.  I did
go to Sears tonight and kept the poor salesperson at her computer for 25
minutes as we went through every single tire in the possible Vanagon sizes
(185 R14, 195 75 14, 195 70 14, 205 70 14, 205 75 14).  And they had a
Michelin  XC LT4 on the wall so I could see it was a very good looking tire,
probably perfect for  my needs.  But Sears charges extra for
mounting/balancing, stem, tire disposal which together with tax add about
$25 to the retail Michelin price of $110.00.  If anyone can steer me to a
discount Michelin tire store, anywhere in the Los Angeles area, but
especially WLA and the Valley, I'd really appreciate it.

John

Kumho emails below:

  John,

    The 857 and the 852 will provide equal traction for the conditions you
are talking about, and both have 10/32" of tread depth. The tread design of
the 857 will provide better on-road handling over the 852 in wet and snow
conditions. Traction for off-road conditions would be comparable to a
passenger tire. If you want optimum off road handling, I would suggest an
All Terrain tire over our tires.
The 857 is the next generation of small, commercial grade tires. The only
difference between the two is sidewall construction and tread design.  The
tread design of the 852 has been basically the same for 2 decades, so it was
time to move to a more modern design. If you have any other questions please
advise.

Aaron