Re: New Year Early in MS Outlook

> I am using Outlook 2000.

Get a good (read non Micro$oft) email client.   :-)

> Have not had this problem in past years but Monday
> I suddenly started to get some emails shown in  "received" column dated in
> 31.12.2003.  I get other emails dated properly in 2002 in the Received
> column - maybe half 2002, half 2003.  I thought this might resolve itself
> today.  However I am getting emails dated 01.01.2004.  When I click on
> reply, the sent line shows the proper date.
>
> I have checked the BIOS date, the Windows 2000 Date / Time settings, and the
> Outlook Tools / Calendar Options / Time Zone options to make sure that the
> date and time settings are correct and they are.
>
> In addition, I received some emails Monday but shown under Received as Tue
> 30.12.2003 day of the week as well as the year being in error.
>
> Has anyone else had this experience and know what to do?

Seriously I cannot offer help, only sympathy.  Files are not the
same as individual email messages, but as far as time is concerned,
the methods for storing and displaying date/time are likely the
same.

I have a desktop computer (Win NT) and a laptop computer (Win 95)
on which I try to keep business files synchronized.  Usually
(95% is a guess) when a file is the same on each computer, the
date/time agree.  The rest of the cases, one of the 6 numbers
(day, month, year, hour, minute, second) will be off by exactly 1.
In cases of disagreement, most often it is the hour which is
different.  I don't recall ever seeing the year or the second
being different.

I think your observation and my experience simply point to M$
sloppiness in rounding computations dealing with date and time.
I have a lot of experience with networks with many mixed brands
of Unix workstations, and I have never noticed them disagree
on the date/time associated with any file.

Rod