Re: Limited life span of mechanical systems?

DH wrote:

> > I truly would like to see something that is straight
> > forward and gives a statistical advantage (meaning traded and the numbers to
> > go with it, i.e. sharp, Max DD, Avg win, Avg Lose, Rina Index, Sharp etc.
>
> And why would anyone disclose that private information to a bunch of
> strangers unless he's trying to sell something or feels an overwhelming
> need to brag?
>
> As someone else said, the best way to keep your system working is to
> keep your mouth shut about it. :-)

Dennis,

I've watched you and one more person adopt this attitude on occassion,
going back a couple of years... if you don't want to contribute, that's
fine, but what's the point with the comments above, prevent someone else
from contributing for the fear they might divulge the path to the grail
? ...

Now, with reagrd to why a trader would want to talk about trading, I'm
quoting a post by Chuck LeBeau (who may not be a great trader AFAIK, but
has been around for a few decades in this industry) at his forum (from a
thread about the con-man Mobley):

"Naturally I also met David Mobley and I was also exposed to his con
game (although I never invested with him or referred anyone to invest
with him). I was suspicious from day one because I have known many
succesful traders and they have common traits that Mobley lacked. They
like to talk about trading and to somehow display and share their
knowledge. They also try to help others with their search for knowledge.
I have heard Monroe Trout, John Henry, Toby Crabel, and other legendary
traders try to educate other traders. Mobley never spoke about trading
when I was present and I found that to be suspicious."

And I've found this attitude to be true in many other lines of business.

Maybe there are systems of the "very short-term surgical precision"
type, with 70% wins, PF of 5, Sharpe >3 etc that stop working because
too many people try to trade them.

But there are also systems, based on sound principles, which have worked
for many years and will probably continue to do so in the future.

Michael.