Re: [OT] New pc

In a message dated 12/4/02 11:06:36 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tachyonv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>  Avoid PCs by Acer, Compaq (sold under HP name now), and all really low
>  priced PCs.

Wrong. Acer makes some of the highest quality motherboards made.

>  Dell is probably the best, including support considerations.  Its support
is
>  outstanding and extends long after the warranty ends.

Say what? Everybody I know that's bought a Dell lately has experienced a
nightmare regarding Dell support. One guy has sent back monitors 4 times
because they can't seem to send him the one he ordered. Another friend, just
this afternoon, sat on hold for over 90 minutes. There are reasons to buy a
Dell, but support is not one of them.

>  Two nVidia GeForce video cards bought at the same time; or two equivalent
>  video cards installed by Dell or whomever at the same time.  That's to
>  ensure that both are at about the same engineering change level and are
>  compatible.

That doesn't ensure anything. Does nvidia even make those in PCI? If not, you
can't use 2 cards. They make a dualhead though, as does ATI.

Some have posted you can build a better one yourself cheaper. Not likely
because Dell uses Intel motherboards, the highest quality there is. They also
buy the O/S cheaper than you can get it.

Dell has had some tremendous deals lately. They are desparate to maintain
earnings every quarter. I just bought a 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 with minimal disk
and memory, XP, CD burner, and 15" flat panel display for $620. I didn't need
bigger disk or memory but you can order it that way if you want. Check their
business machine section rather than home machine section. I've seen them
sell servers for cheap too.