XP vulnerability

Jim,

This topic is addressed expertly by
Steve Gibson at the following web address:
http://grc.com/xpdite/xpdite.htm

I'm sorry to be so dramatic,
but I think now that the SP1 vulnerability is public,
it is a forgone conclusion that it will be exploited
with greater frequency.

Though he warns of HD erasures,
I think the greater damage would be
done by stealth programs designed
for secret exploitation ie passwords,
DNS attacks, ID theft, etc..

Noted on his site were the following:

     XP Service Pack Said to Fix Major Flaw - September 10, 2002
      by PCWorld.com Staff
     Patch Plugs Win XP Hole Without SP1 - September 13, 2002
      by Stuart J. Johnston, special to PCWorld.com
     Win XP Update Crashes Some PCs - September 20, 2002
      by Stuart J. Johnston, special to PCWorld.com

      You are right about the crashes.
      He suggests a suitable patch that does not need SP1

      I would consider a mirror backup to restore a shattered system.

Sincerely,
Eric Svendsen