Re[2]: [OT] New pc

John,

I've used NT, Win2k Pro and XP Pro with Ts2ki.  Win2k was great but I
find XP Pro a bit better and with some neat features.  It does require
some tweaking, as I have said in the past, but it is a great system.

One thing I see over and over is not to install SP1 for XP Pro.  I
haven't and will not.

Jimmy

John> What!!!

John> XP Pro is a development from the NT/2000 stable not the end of line for ME!

John> It is stable like 2000; has dynamic system resources so that TS2000i doesnt
John> crash like 2000; but it does have a nicer user interface and it boots faster
John> than any previous version of Windows.  I've run every Windows operating
John> system plus a couple of versions of Linux and despite the eternal windows
John> security issues I recommend XP strongly.

John> If you go to the trouble of spending time working out which mother boards
John> etc are best (or just read back issues of our archives on the same subject
John> you can build a better PC than a Dell (I have two and have experienced some
John> interesting Dellisms).  It will also be more open to later development and
John> peripherals.

John>   Archives at :http://purebytes.com/archives/
John>   PC Info at: http://www.sysdoc.pair.com/  and  http://www.anandtech.com/

John> If you're buying a PC off the shelf a dell is a good choice.

John> I support Vinces statements about specs and building them himself.

John> John

John> ----- Original Message -----
John> From: "Vince Heiker" <tachyonv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
John> To: <maxci@xxxxxx>; "omega list" <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
John> Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 12:51 PM
John> Subject: RE: [OT] New pc

John> Windows 2000 or Windows XP Pro (not regular XP) for the OS. XP is the end of
John> the line for the W3.1-W95-W98-ME-XP versions of Windows, which for me are
John> too unreliable and too full of security holes.

John> Avoid PCs by Acer, Compaq (sold under HP name now), and all really low
John> priced PCs.

John> Dell is probably the best, including support considerations.  Its support is
John> outstanding and extends long after the warranty ends.  I think Dell has a
John> dual processor model.

John> Gateway is ok but its support is not as good as Dells, IMHO.

John> You get less for your money when buying in retail stores.  And even the big
John> brand names are often made by lows bid, lower quality contract
John> manufacturers.  IBMs were made by Acer at one time, and Acer is poor IMHO.
John> HPs are often now made by Compaq, and latter made awful laptops and
John> desktops.

John> Specs? Minimum:

John> 2 Ghz processor(s) or faster. Faster PCI bus speed, the better.

John> 1 Gb RAM or more.

John> 35 MB hard drive capacity.  Two drives are better than one, above 35 gb, but
John> only if both are SCSI.  SCSI is faster than other choices because it permits
John> simultaneous operation of multiple drives, but SCSI costs a lot more.

John> Hard drive speed - 10k rpm speed is fastest, 7200 rpm is ok.  The 10k rpm
John> drives have a high mortality rate and operate considerably hotter than the
John> 7200 rpm drives. 10k rpm may only make sense if you use SCSI hard drive(s),
John> along with SCSI tape back up and SCSI DVD drive.

John> DVD RAM drive (write capability is nice for backups).  These are slower than
John> the fastest CD drives and read only DVD drives, but the write capability is
John> handy.

John> Add on a Sony DAT SCSI or other 40 Gb tape back up, if you can afford it.

John> Two nVidia GeForce video cards bought at the same time; or two equivalent
John> video cards installed by Dell or whomever at the same time.  That's to
John> ensure that both are at about the same engineering change level and are
John> compatible.

John> SoundBlaster PCI slot sound card.

John> Be sure to get every upgrade in power supply and cooling fans that you can.
John> You may need to add those after you get the PC. Above configuration will
John> generate a lot more heat than prior generation PCs.

John> ViewSonic makes nice LCD panel displays for the money.  Most LCD panel
John> displays are good, probably best to use price and length of warranty as
John> major tie breaking criteria.

John> Best to have both LCD panel displays the same size, model and brand, but you
John> can mix them if you don't mind having some multi monitor operation
John> irritations. TS6 must be used across multiple monitors to fit the smallest
John> monitor, else part of it is not visible and not accessible. Some of us have
John> put in an enhancement request at TradeStationWorld, to solve this current
John> limitation.

John> Stick to 17" or larger LCD panel displays. Generally an LCD display is about
John> one size larger than the superficially equivalent CRT type display.  In
John> other words, the actual usable displayed area on a 17" LCD panel is about
John> the same as that on a 19" CRT type monitor.  Plus LCD displays operate
John> cooler.

John> Dump the satellite feed and convert to either xDSL or cable, unless you live
John> too far out to get either xDSL or cable.  Satellite and its slow dial up for
John> outgoing data are too slow for day trading.  Satellite is more reliable for
John> incoming data than cable and xDSL but the dial up for outgoing data is a
John> severe speed handicap.

John> Personally build my own PCs, costs more, process is extremely frustrating
John> and time consuming, but I get a better PC in the end.

John> Hope above helps.

John> Vince Heiker
John> Flower Mound, TX

John> -----Original Message-----
John> From: maxci@xxxxxx [mailto:maxci@xxxxxx]
John> Sent: Wednesday, December 04, 2002 5:15 AM
John> To: MedianLine Group; omega list
John> Subject: [OT] New pc

John> I need to buy a new pc for trading , anyone is willing to recommend a
John> good configuration?
John> I use a satellite data feed and TS4, I've had WinNT as OS until now and
John> was very satisfied of its stability, which OS should I opt for?
John> Please answer privately if you believe it is more appropriate.
John> Thanks.
John> Massimo.

John> ps.I apologize for cross posting.

John> ---