RE: Which type of connection is faster?

Jimmy, thanks for the good additions, I had forgotten about those
alternatives.

ISDN is not nearly as fast as cable or xDSL, but it is faster than dial up
and is a viable alternative, if still offered by the local Telco. ISDN is a
technology that never achieved the market share anticipated for it, and it
was eclipsed by xDSL and cable modems.

Wireless will eventually dominate, in large part because it will bypass the
local Telcos, that have been notoriously slow to adopt new technologies.
Telco's derive large revenues and profits from T1 and T25 sales to
businesses, which less expensive broadband will hurt.

Current wireless problems include security (lack thereof), true throughput
(actual data speed achieved is often much lower than the rated speed),
weather and sunspot impacts, and the large capital costs to proliferate. It
is not yet clear that current wireless technologies can be profitable,
priced at xDSL and cable modem levels.

Sprint has killer wireless data technologies, but we are in a time period
that prohibits raising the huge capital amounts that would be required to
roll these out.

The last problem with wireless is that the technologies are not quite there
yet.  A 4G is needed, 3G does not seem to be cutting it for broadband data
in places where it has been tried, in USA and European flavors.  I don't
know the details about why, perhaps someone else can add to this.

Vince Heiker
Flower Mound, TX