RE: [OT] New pc - Question

I doubt that you will experience any performance problems with the hard
drive.

Hard drive I/O is mostly irrelevant for real time use of real time trading
software. Processor, memory, bus and graphics speeds are far more relevant.
Providing that you have enough memory and that therefore the operating
system is not paging stuff out to disk, using virtual (page) memory.

However, if you notice your hard drive light blinking much, or hear a lot of
I/O when trading, then check your memory usage via task manager or some
other tool.  If it stays below 60% usage you should be ok.  If it goes above
60% then you might want to add more RAM to your system.

In statistics, randomly occurring events that use 67% or more of the
capacity of something, whether a supermarket check out line or computer
memory, will be the start of significant event or activity clustering, and
thus of capacity problems for computer memory or hard disk capacity or
processor utilization.

Hard drive performance in some systems under some operating systems can
become a problem at 50% because of paging, fragmentation and use of
temporary files that are not usually included in storage usage measures.

Bottom line is that your system is probably ok, but you might want to add
another 500k of matching (presumably DDR) RAM to it.

Vince Heiker
Flower Mound, TX