GS Data Directory Change & Nightly Maintenance

This is a suggestion for anyone using Windows 2000 or XP who wants to
have their data separate from their programs to facilitate backups
etc.

I have been using the Junction utility available from
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml
This is like the utility linkd.exe from the Windows Resource Kit,
only it's free. It allows setting reparse points so that the system
treats a directory which is in one place as if it is somewhere else.
This is like the standard Mountvol command in Windows, but much more
powerful as mountvol only allows a partition to be reparsed to a
directory, whilst Junction allows any directory, including on a
different disk drive, to be be reparsed to another directory.  This
makes it simple to have a number of different sets of Globalserver
data (eg one for Historycentre data, one for good data you use) in
completely non-standard locations (ie do not need data to be in
C:\Program Files\Omega Research\Server).

Suggest the junction.exe file is placed in the WINNT/System32
directory. You will need to use 8.3 path and filename format with the
junction command (at least if you have spaces in a path name). You
can easily change the reparse points with a batch file command such
as:

junction C:\PROGRA~1\OMEGAR~1\Server G:\TRADES~1\Main

The above could be used if you move the contents of the Server
directory to a directory called G:\Tradestation\Main for example.
Above reparse point can be cancelled using the command:

junction -d C:\PROGRA~1\OMEGAR~1\Server G:\TRADES~1\Main

A new junction command referencing from a directory will replace any
previous junction reparse points set from that directory.
Directories to be reparsed from should be empty or not exist.  Eg
C:\PROGRA~1\OMEGAR~1\Server should either not exist or should have
nothing in it when you run the junction command.  Cancelling a
reparse point deletes the directory being referenced from, but has no
effect on the directory being referenced to, so there is no data
loss. If you try to run junction from a directory which is not empty,
nothing happens (this is based on a quicjk test as I always check if
I have any doubts : I do not want to wipe out data!).  Reparse points
are seemless within windows so there is no performance hit (I
certainly have not noticed any impact).

Commands have instant effect on the directory mappings, so should
only be used after Globalserver shutdown.

I have been using the Junction utility with Globalserver (TS2K) and a
number of different sets of data (Server directory) for a couple of
months with no problems.  Make a backup of your Server directory and
experiment AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Hopefully the above will be of use to someone.  Many uses over and
above TS applications. If you cannot think of any reason why you
might want to use reparse points, then you do not need any of the
above.  I used to use mountvol (can use this graphically from windows
Disk Management), but since finding junction, I have changed many of
my directory structures to simplify and clarify my data storage.

Globalserver 2K Nightly Maintenance

If you want more control over what happens when Globalserver runs
Nightly Maintenance, make the following registry change:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Omega Research\Server\MAINT
"ShowSettings"=dword:00000001

You will then have a choice of checkboxes under Tools / Options /
Maintenance in the GS. Can stop symbols being archived if you want.

Use the above at your own risk.  I have not had any problems, but
that is no guarantee.

Regards,
David