Re[2]: Cost of in-house trading software development

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, 9:34:48 AM, Calandra Sikes wrote:

CS> Toolbars, accelerator keys, context sensitive menus, Help buttons
CS> on the dialogs, scroll wheels, and I think even 2 button mouses
CS> (Apples was 1 button) those are all MSFT innovations that probably
CS> came out of usability studies.

Ummm... you might want to check back in some early CS and AI research
labs - you'd be surprised by what you'd find there. For example, I was
using a 3-button mouse before M$ had Windows, and they activated early
versions of the above, and more. M$ wanted a dumbed-down version, thus
2 buttons.

CS> Microsoft does innvoate but you have to be willing and able to see
CS> it.

I keep trying to find it, but it always seems they copied it instead.
Their PR division does the innovating. :-) And many clueless people
swallow it - hook, line, and sinker.

CS> The split keyboards are also an idea MSFT popularized

True

CS> not  invented.

Also true. :-)

CS> I could go on and on.

Likewise.

CS> That’s the way it is with MSFT haters.  They nit pick the products
CS> to death -- the 10% that has flaws

CS> MSFT does not write mediocre software.  On the
CS> contrary, they set the industry standard.  I know
CS> because I’ve been using MSFT software since 1985 when
CS> my Dad brought home Excel and Word.

I've been following it since Gates had his first version of Basic
distributed on paper tape. Everything they released was soooooo bad I
developed a rule to not buy anything from M$ until version 3.3. So did
many others. M$ finally caught on to this and quit using the version
numbering. :-)

CS> And as for your hatered of MSFT because because “Gates wants to
CS> control (and presumably charge me for) every packet of data that
CS> comes into”

He's a lot more greedy than that. :-))

ztrader