RE: Cost of in-house trading software development

Hi Ian,

Ok I promise not to complain about your condecending
tone if you let me call you "EOR" -- as in the **Ass**
from a familiar childrens story. OK?

So EOR, if you read my previous post closer you will
see I said "This sounds like the strategy MSFT has
used again and again since the 1980's.".  You must
have missed that part because I'm sure you realize
that MSFT was not an 18 billion dollar company in the
mid 80's.  In fact they weren't even the largest yet
they still managed to grow and sell software in
overcrowded markets.

As an example of the power of picking already
populated markets, MSFT around the early to mid 80's
decided they wanted a piece of the spreadsheet market
which was completely dominated by Visicalc. So they
built Excel which did some things a little better, a
little different and was priced about the same.  But
it wasn't far and away a better spreadsheet platform.
And it sold for about the same price  (actually a bit
more $225) Over the years it slowly gained more and
more market share.  Making it a windows based app (ie
more like the Mac) helped accelerate the demise of
Visicalc and the acceptance of Excel as the #1
spreadsheet app.

Another example of the power of picking active markets
is Electronic Arts (of Bill Budge fame).  But I won't
go into that one.

I know all this because though I was a teenager at the
time and my dad owned a PC chain tha sold PCs and
Apples and related software in the 80's and he would
talk about all that stuff.

So EOR, it appears as though you're wrong again!! :)
You're wrong that only having unique ideas is the best
way to make money, you're wrong that you can't make
money in overcrowded markets and you're wrong that
MSFT only succeeded because they have a ton of money.

What else are you going to be wrong about?

I hope you trade better than analyze this kind of
stuff.

Jen.