RE: Cost of in-house trading software development

"create some software that joins with the competition"

This sounds like the strategy MSFT has used again and
again since the 1980's.  By picking markets already
populated with you are assured that there's demand for
the product.  If a market has demand now it will
likely have demand in the future since there is always
turn over and people usually look for the latest and
greatest.  This is esp true in trading.  This is one
approach to picking markets that many have used with
success.

The other approach is to get an idea and see if it
will sell in an unestablished market.  The problem
with the IDEA approach into unestablished and untested
markets is that you don't know if there's demand for
it.  There's a reason why no one is in that market and
it ain't probably becaues no one has thought of the
idea.

I've heard it again and again that when picking a
market, you want to go where the crowd is because that
means there's real demand.  The road is littered with
businesses that tried to establish demand with new
products.  Those pioneers are really the ones with the
arrows in their back.

So I think the thing to consider is the market size
and weather or not you can do it better than the best
or have a competivite advantage.

So actually I can't agree with either of these
gentlemen.

Jen.