Re: Volker: Response to public note about Replacement for 2000i"

Hello Vince,

thanks for your review of the software options.  ignore the carping
whiners.  if they want a cross-tabulated, multi-variate, all
combinations and permutations, double-blind, Markov analysis of every
software known to man--let 'em do it themselves.

MOre to the point, what you are saying below and is often missed in
these discussions is that certain software criteria (reliability,
bugginess, size, etc.) there are certain criteria that are unique to
each trading style, trader need.  Before choosing a package, one must
exhaustively list the selection requirements/criteria and then eval
the packages against those criteria.  So for example, if one doesn't
do need backtesting, that capability may actually become a liability
in that it adds complexity, size etc. to the package.

For me, warts and all TS4 or 5 work well as the all-round tool.

Best regards,
 Jim Johnson                           mailto:jejohn@xxxxxxxxxxx

--
Sunday, November 17, 2002, 10:34:33 PM, you wrote:

VH> 1.  My interests back then were not (and still are not) back testing.  I was
VH> looking for software to replace RealTick, and needed an objective way to
VH> evaluate such packages.

VH> My primary interests were and are: charting, studies, order execution, data
VH> feed reliability and data feed speed; and low per trade commission costs.
VH> My secondary interests were and are, end of day and real time scanning for
VH> trade candidates. I have my own software tool for risk & $ management.

VH> So, at that time, your software did not meet what I was searching for.

VH> 2.  There are over 1,800 functions that exist in the primary trading
VH> software packages....those could be evaluated and scored to fit onto one
VH> page for one package, much less for a lot of packages.

VH> Different packages have different strengths. And they click with different
VH> traders whose personalities, trading styles and circumstances can be
VH> different.

VH> One person's opinion of what is best, or even about which package is best in
VH> a class of functions, does not necessarily have any value for another
VH> trader.

VH> E.g., if I think that NeoTicker or RealTick or Investor/RT or whatever are
VH> really good for charting, but another trader is using cycle techniques, that
VH> other trader will probably prefer Ensign or Advanced Get, and find these
VH> former tools to be poor, for his or her intended use.

VH> So what you suggest about a comparison, depends upon who is doing the
VH> comparing.

VH> Have done RFP's to software vendors over the years.  When each software
VH> vendor filled out the checklists, they all seemed to have everything. No one
VH> wanted to admit to not having a feature or function in an RFP. In the end,
VH> we seemed to always find what was missing or poorly done, and no sales
VH> resulted, on a distrust of that company for future opportunities.

VH> So, its likely that a public comparison list of features and functions would
VH> have the same general vaporware tendency.

VH> There may be some ways around the above problems, but those would take time
VH> better spent on my own trading.  Speaking of which, got to get ready for the
VH> coming week.

VH> Vince Heiker
VH> Flower Mound, TX

[VK>>>]
VH> No problem at all. If you noticed, I was not talking about WLD2, just in
VH> general.

VH> You'll note that I did not mention about 70 other software packages
VH> either.

[VK>>>]
VH> Wow, we were not even in the other 70.  :(

VH> My posting rather obviously is only a summary reply to the questions of
VH> others.  The packages I did mention are the best real time charting,
VH> studies, order execution and/or scanning packages; and/or had some
VH> unique
VH> functions, such as Ensign, that might appeal to some forum members. Best
VH> =
VH> in function points.  Best = also generally in trader market share. E.g.,
VH> RealTick has about 20,000 real time trading customers.

[VK>>>]