Re: Waring: CSI data errors -- Not apparent to me

Dear Mr. John Lynch:

Thank you for attempting to reproduce the CSI data problems.
Even if you are not able to reproduce the problem right now,
please do not assume that CSI Tech Support that CSI is
"having difficulty reproducing Leslie's problems".
Tech Support is aware of the problem and is trying to help.
The issue went all the way to the President of CSI,
Mr. Bob Pelletier.

Here is part of Email from Mr. Bob Pelletier dated Friday,
Oct 26:
Pelletier write to me:
   Admittedly something was wrong then and
   we will attempt to resolve the anomaly.
   What is happening is that for some unknown
   reason whenever the reported open interest
   goes over 900,000 in total, the CBOT reports
   a value net of 900,000.  This error has caused
   quite a bit of trouble for some customers
   including us and you.
{End of quote form Pelletier}

{A value net of 900,000 is one order of magnitude error.
Enough to blow up most trading systems. }

So, the good news is that Pelletier (and his company, CSI)
are indeed responsive, recognize the problem, and attempting to
make corrections.

CSI has corrected the negative volume issue in the NG contract.
>From an Oct 26th perspective, the August data looks clean.
The reason you did not see the error is that CSI sends out
error corrections. (This can be next day, next week or any time.)

Unfortunately, from an August of 2002 perspective,
the NG volume was in error.  The error was not corrected
until mid September.

Since we all trade the data that comes in, we all suffer when the
data is wrong.  We cannot send error corrections to our broker
and ask for our money back.

Hopefully, with Pelletier's involvement, CSI or CBOT, or
whomever will find the "unknown reason" and fix the error.
For right now, anyone who uses OI, Volume, in trading or in
rolling their contracts needs to be vigilant and inspect
the data every day that it comes in.

Respectfully yours,
Leslie Walko

--