Re: Fw: Off Topic - SCSI Raid Controllers

David Jennings wrote:

> Have recently had a controller/ disk failure. Grateful for some practical
> advice re SCSI raid controllers.

I've generally had good results with Mylex SCSI RAID controllers. Some
servers by HP include SCSI RAID controllers in the base configuration.
The big advantage is that you get the case with the hot-pluggable drive
bays etc. It all depends on how much downtime you can live with. But
these configurations are not for the technically challenged ;-)

But if you're looking for some reasonable redundancy at low cost and can
live with a 1) few hours of downtime and 2) are willing to use the
"outdated" NT4-Server OS, you could use the built-in software mirroring
(of NT4). Probably the server editions of Win2000 offer some similar (or
better).

I have a spare machine, identical to my main trading machine. I only do
a mirror of the disks. When one disk failed, system carried on fine and
I replaced the faulty disk at a later time. If something fatal happens
to the main system (CPU/ethernet etc failure) I can move the disks and
suffer minimal downtime. Only problem would be if the disk contents get
corrupted due to software issues (virus etc)

Regards, MT