Re: Microsoft vs. Opera web browser / Outlook Express / Netscape

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Microsoft vs. Opera web browser / Outlook Express / Netscape
  • From: countachl <countachl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 17:09:11 -0700

> Subject: Re: Security update -- Microsoft worried about Opera web browser
> Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 11:49:27 -0700
> From: DH <catapult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Omega List <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Railing against Microsoft's browser is like shaking your fist at a
> hurricane. Microsoft has won the browser wars. They practically give
> away web page composition software that's easy to use and creates nice
> looking pages so many many sites use it. Unfortunately, in typical
> Microsoft fashion, the pages created can't be viewed correctly by any
> other browser. If you want the "full web experience," you have to use
> Internet Explorer.

Well, one can just refuse to use it. (Well, almost.)  I use Netscape 4.7.
I like the way it handles bookmarks. You can save or find a bookmark just
by pushing the mouse through a series of menus, unlike the Explorer style
where you have to open a box, scroll a list, then select a folder.  For some
strange reason Netscape adopted this model for versions 6 and 7.  And
Opera uses it, too.  Opera is neat because it opens one large window,
then each browser window is within that window (like TS charts:-)
But it has that lousy bookmark scheme.

I surf with Netscape 95% of the time.  A few sites don't work right.
Like Tradestation World.  Sometimes streaming audio/video don't work.
But other than that Netscape is fine.

> Email is another story. I can't see any compelling reason to use Outlook
> Express and it's near the bottom of my list of preferred email clients.
>
> --
>   Dennis

Yes, I have avoided Outlook until now.  But it is the only email client that
can get through the ATT Worldnet firewall to retrieve mail.  It's actually
not  bad, except for being a virus portal.  It handles multiple accounts
well. But it won't display the Omega Digests as single messages - it holds
them as attachments and then opens each message in the digest individually.
ARRRGGGGHHH! So I read the digest through another account.
With Netscape:-)

Does anyone know how to make Outlook Express display the Omega Digest
as a digest?

Donc