was:CASH index is poor model etc.New subj;Taking signals from SPX to trade SP futures...

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: was:CASH index is poor model etc.New subj;Taking signals from SPX to trade SP futures...
  • From: "Shraga(Feivi-Philip)" <shraga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 13:34:08 -0700

Someone`s had to turn this into it`s own thread :)

I understand that there are several traders on this list that actually do
trade this way; trading the futures off signals from the cash (SP and
NQ...). What would be interesting to know is: is there any foolproof way to
test such a signal, or have these traders just test-driven their systems?
I`ve noticed that using data1 futures and data2 cash does NOT work out well
for some reason. Mark Brown mentioned that the futures having bigger moves
should just about average everything out. At least in my case, backtesting
has not shown this to be true, but I assume there could be a difference
with different systems (allthough I don`t see why there should be...).
Also, has anyone noticed a difference in results when using ES instead of
SP for data1? And last, doesn`t SPY track the cash exactly? If so, how
liquid is spy for day-trading purposes? Wouldn`t that be a solution to this
whole problem?

Philip