RE: TS6 'waiting for data' problems?

Jerry it's my understanding and some experience that a point in a WAN where
a circuit terminates and another starts (a hop) rarely takes so long that it
would cause the kind of data outages I've seen with TS. Ping plotter will
measure the latency of a hop, but it can't tell you anything about devices.
That is, ping plotter isn't reading SNMP traps, which is a necessary
function to track down these kinds of problems. Ping plotter should confirm
there's a problem, which we already know, but that's it. If ping plotter
asserts that a hop is slow, how would you identify which of the 200 or so
routers in the domain (usually at a CO) may be failing? The cause of TS
going out to lunch while waiting for data is most likely at the start or end
point of the (virtual) service. I've checked my end!