From: Charles Johnson [mailto:cmjohnsonxx@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2001 3:59 PM
To: ian; Daniel A. Poiree
Cc: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Backup headaches - off topic

I use Norton Ghost to take a snapshot of my system in a pristine known good
state, minus data.  I use Veritas Backup Exec Desktop to back up data.  This
product is now called Backup MyPC and is marketed by someone other than
Veritas; I think the Veritas site points you to the link.

I use a CD burner and get a little over 1 gig on each 700 meg CD with
compression.

The user interface on Ghost is slightly flakey but once you learn how to use
it, it works well.  It is operated by floppies; I have one marked "BACKUP"
and one marked "RESTORE."

The Veritas product is very nice.  It lets you easily select which files you
want to backup and restore, and set up backup jobs.  By default it reads the
media right after the backup to verify that the files were correctly saved.

Using both of these makes it easy to recover from weird system problems that
require reinstalling the OS+apps.

Tape is said to be less reliable as CDs and presumably DVDs.  If I had a lot
of data and didn't want to keep swapping CDs I might invest in a DVD writer.

By the way, Mitsui (not Mitsumi) apparently makes the best blank CD (and
DVD?) media.  I've researched it, but have been using lesser brands.  And
Plextor apparently makes the most reliable CD burners (fewest errors).