Re: programming standards ?

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, multitrak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Which functions are bad in jacking up system code toward the 64K limit? I
> know that ADX is near the limit, but how about some others? Isn't the
> IncludeSystem thing a kludge? And wouldn't writing dll's instead make more
> sense if the system code is particularly complex and over the 64K limit? At
> least the dll's could be called from any TS version (yes, I understand the
> 16 vs 32 bit compiler issues). And wouldn't writing them in a more user
> friendly language (than EL) go smoother and faster once the language had
> been learned? At least there's more resources (and programmers) available
> for C++ or Powerbasic than 2 EL books and a manual! :-)
>
> MT
>
> >No.  All function code is included in the 64k ceiling.  However, if
> >you use an IncludeSystem, the code in that included system IS NOT
> >counted toward your 64k limit.
> >
> >That depends entirely on the complexity of code, the amount of
> >comments & whitespace in your code, etc.  I just looked at a
> >particularly large system -- it contains over 240 lines (about 4
> >pages) of code and comments, and it hasn't hit the limit yet.  I just
> >tried adding more code, and was able to add almost 200 more lines of
> >code (no comments) before I got a "Not enough memory" error from the
> >Power Editor when I verified it.  I still didn't get the 64k message
> >from TS.

The problem I see with converting EL code to something else is the effort
involved in coding the implicit price series data as something else. If
The function designer took the function algorythm(?) into account and
knew that the current value of an intermdiate calculation is needed on
the next iteration and as such 'pushed' the value into a list manually,
then coding would not be that difficult and could be done in many
languages including C, C++, PERL, LISP, and even FORTH.

The task of automatically translating existing code from EL to something
else is much more difficult.

One really fascinating idea I have been toying with is the creation of
a application that would receive data feeds and would compute the
value of various functions, indicators, and stategies in real-time.
The development would still be easiest in TSX, but then recode the EL
to the other, more robust application. The keeping of development in
TSX allows the full graphics and toying-around capability available
within TSX that would be difficult to duplication in another application.

Writing translators and interpretive systems is really easy and I have
already a system built for another trading application. The difficulty
with TSX is the implicit price series functionality that is hidden within
the design of EL.

Mike