Re: programming standards ?

> One problem I have is that while the arrays and other functions I
> have made help reduce the code size, when I implement the function
> that holds the array with a system using lowest or highest function
> I get the message: "Variables & Arrays cannot be passed to function
> Lowest". Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I am doing
> wrong, or a possible fix if this is a TS bug, please?

You mention the 64k limit, so I assume you're using TS4.  TS4 doesn't
support passing arrays.  TS2k and TS6 support passing arrays and
passing arguments "by reference" -- meaning a function can change its
inputs, and that change propagates back to the calling code.

Lowest() is intended only to find the lowest value in a "series,"
which is the EL data structure used to represent previous bar
history.  You can't use it to find the lowest value in an array.  If
you could pass an array to a function, you could write your own
LowestInArray function, but since you're on TS4...

If you need to find the lowest element in an array, you'll just have
to insert the code to do it in-line.

> Also, when functions are made for code (even small code), is the
> 64K code size of systems reduced by the use of these functions?

No.  All function code is included in the 64k ceiling.  However, if
you use an IncludeSystem, the code in that included system IS NOT
counted toward your 64k limit.

> And in general, would it be reasonable to think that about 2x A4
> pages of code would be about the 64K limit? (This seems to be about
> the amount of text, that produces my warning 'size' limit).

That depends entirely on the complexity of code, the amount of
comments & whitespace in your code, etc.  I just looked at a
particularly large system -- it contains over 240 lines (about 4
pages) of code and comments, and it hasn't hit the limit yet.  I just
tried adding more code, and was able to add almost 200 more lines of
code (no comments) before I got a "Not enough memory" error from the
Power Editor when I verified it.  I still didn't get the 64k message
from TS.

Gary