Reg Maint Defrag

    About 1 1/2 yr. ago I posted results from Maximum
PC Mag tests/evals on Images/Defrag,etc. ( if interested
you can check their archieves).
    Results ( of top 5 softwares ) they rated PowerQuest's
Drive Image easiest & Norton's Ghost, along with PQ as Best
performance ( I think BiLow has since posted another) for saving
a partition to an Image.
    They stated that the most heavily fragmented portion of the HD
was "swap/paging " file.  Norton adds that the Registry file also gets
fragmented.  Max PC Mag recommendation:  Make your first partition
your swap/boot section.  Norton says Windows does poor job of
managing swap/paging, so manually minimize it.  Thumb Rule:  Min =
amount of Ram + 1 & Max 2xRam +1 ( you have to set both).  Max PC
Mag said same.   - - Max PC rated Norton's defrag ( Speed Disk ) the
Best, primarily because it was written in "Assembly" and it "puts the
swap/page file at the Start of the Disk "  - - faster access, so faster ops.
Norton's Speed Disk will auto defrag the C: drive and manually you must
select other partitions.  I set nightly the swap and on week-ends do the
remainder.  My C is small, just swap and boot size.
    Yesterday I was in Best Buy and noticed that they had individual disks
of Norton ( Symantec - - owned by I believe, by IBM) on the small CD rack
for between $10.99 and I recall Individual firewall for $29.99  - - no
manuals,
just the CD but Help is on the CD & you can download manuals.  YOU can
also Download a 30 day trial from Symantec - - from time to time,same with
Power Quest.
    Of worth:  These are 30 day trial of FREE.  Put a www. before each &
.com after each.
docmemory ( A Quick Test of Memory & Burn In & more elaborate tests )
memturbo    ( a Defrag of Memory )
A Must & free & very good documentation:  jv16, an Italian man's software
called RegCleaner.  Check it out  - - makes $MS look sick.
Usual disclaimer & I don't even own stock in any of the above.
Trade Well & Smart,
John