Re: Portfolio Management Software

Eduardo,

> Does anyone knows a good portfolio management software (free is better
> because I donīt have enough resources to buy a expensive system) that can
be
> useful to manage a small hedge fund ?
> It musts calculate the fund NAVīs, performance fees, administration fees
and
> makes reports ....

Depending on the scale and scope of the fund, you may be better off working
with Excel and Word.  How many securities?  How many currencies?  Any
unusual securities?  How often do you value?  Do you have shareholder
activity? How frequently?  How active is the fund?  How complex is the
performance fee calc?  I'm not sure whether hedge funds fall under the SEC
regulatory umbrella or, if they do, whether they have the same reporting
requirements as non-money market mutual funds.  If they do resemble mutual
funds for reporting requirements, my experience when I was in the that
business was that it was possible to portfolio accounting using Excel and
Word IF it wasn't a highly active fund with a lot of shareholder activity
and a lot of positions with some being difficult to value.  For example, a
thinly traded bond is difficult to value.  You either have to find a market
maker, a bond dealer who will give you the time of day for quotes, or use
matrix pricing.

When I was in the business, I had a lot of experience with the portfolio
operations and valuations although none with hedge funds.

Since this isn't really on topic for the list, maybe we should take the
discussion private unless folks don't object.

Regards,
Mike