Re: puzzling probability and roulette a la Mark Brown

might i add ( since um currently working on volatility model )
that mean reversion isn't that only, volatility in addition to mean
reversion goes through increase/decrease cycles governed mainly by
information factoring/fading process. it is actually two overlapping
processes not just one. ltcm blew horn because they did not factor the
second  process...and relied on mean reversion only.
increase cycle especially dangerous since volatility can snowball to
unexpected high value as information intake snowballs and ruin your mean
reversion model right there where you expect it to mean revert...

where as coin toss or roulette has no increase or decrease info cycles with
feedback because  simply there is no information intake ( except the spin itself )
unlike in trading, no  memory thus governed by random process only. trading not equal
gambling.
however even in roulette you might have a unexpected  random10 reds in row
as you will likely be "mean reverting" after 3-5 to bet on black, right? :-)
the difference is the nature of the process... in trading it's random +
information factoring and feedback in game pure random event and since in
trading it's not always random,prediction is possible.

in trading is that new information begets new information begets
new information... ie there are information cycles. a turning point in
trading for instance is where one information cycle is overridden by an new
counter one. when volatility snowballs it is the result of the information
rolling snowball. compare that to a common information shock such as a news
event that creates initial jump in volatility aka price shock then fades and
reverts to the mean. selling volatility into the price shock will work but
not during the snowball. means defining the cycle ( increase or decrease )
you are in is as important as defining if  you are under or over the mean and how much.
in roulette there are no snowball cycles, no memory, in blackjack you might have
a weak info cycle in there based on the sequence of cards and thus can have a
better edge if you can determine the cycle by counting.

in roulette about average 100 wheel rotations you should expect about 3 times
of 5 reds or blacks in a row...etc. after that the probabilities of black or red
are still 50%.

bilo.

> Gene,
>
> there is a measure which allows you to bet on reversion of amplitude over
> time; it is called "volatility". Frequently used by option traders.
>
> In fact, the mean reversion tendency of volatility is what makes many
> spreading strategies feasible in the first place.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Michael Suesserott

Not