SPX & SPY Symbols ???

I have recently received data for "SPY" from some friends and noticed that
the values are roughly one-tenth the value of the S&P 500 cash index.  At
the AMEX web site, "SPY" is described as the "SPYDER" trading vehicle and
the value shown there is also roughly one-tenth of the cash index.  (I am
familiar with the SPYDER.)

What puzzles me is that on BMI (and also Signal, which I formerly used),
"SPY" is described as "S&P 500 Stock Index TRUE" and its value is exactly
the same as the value of SPX.  It comes from the CME and it updates much
more frequently than SPX - for example, daily tick counts run just above
1400 for SPX and above 1600 for SPY.

How come what others are receiving for SPY is different from what I am
receiving?  On Signal is it possibly that there are two different symbols,
"SPY" and "$SPY"?

Carroll Slemaker