Re: Mark Gilks attachment - Badtrans virus

John, I addressed this in my e-mail to Mike but here it is again for you.
Plus, the link you posted for the virus is a non-working page at Symantec.
Here is the correct link:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.gen@xx.
html

Here is my response to you:

The virus that attacked the systems of a number of members of this list was
not the "silent" type. Mark
Gilk should have been keenly aware that the virus existed on his hard drive
because the virus actually tells you that it has damaged your hard drive!!
And, in order for the virus to work it's damage to other drives, it has to
execute your e-mail software, i.e. Outlook, and then make a network or
dial-up connection so that it can send the infected e-mails.

So, the question is, where the hell is Mark?!! What was he busy doing while
his system was used as an instrument to attack other computers? At the very
least there's a direlection in duty to protect other users, and at worst, he
may have knowningly passed it along. My perspective is that if you infect
other systems and don't know that your system is the culprit, then you are
not capable of using that tool properly and should get some help or stop
using it but at least get banned from Omega List and other forums where you
could cause further damage. Additionally, if you are using your system
purposely to infect other systems, you should be arrested, but at least
banned from Omega List and other forums where you could cause damage.

Hence, my calls for banishment for Mr. Gilk. I hope that clears up any
confusion and effectively states my point of view.

Sincerely,
John

Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2001 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: Mark Gilks attachment - Badtrans virus