Re: Off topic : Email

On Friday, November 30, 2001, 4:44:58 AM, Don Ewers wrote:

DE> That said, can someone take the time to summarize the different
DE> E-mail options available and as to whether they all work the same.

Large task, given the wide range of capabilities and desires of
different users. As with trading systems, you will need to find one
that suits you and your requirements. And - there are large
differences in the different approaches and mailers.

DE> For instance "Hotmail"

For example, *I* wouldn't consider this at all. Web-based email can
have adverse privacy impacts, and I like to maintain privacy. I can do
without a web bug in every email, thank you.

Also, I get several hundred emails a day - forget web mail. For
others, with different desires, web-based email is OK.

DE> Netscape is out in my book, my bond partner has it and I have not
DE> been impressed as he has stuggled with it at times, but then again
DE> maybe it is just him (the user).  I have also heard (true or not)
DE> that Netscape potentially becoming a dead product with fewer sites
DE> supporting it?

I like having separate programs for each function - TheBat for mail,
Opera for the web, Agent for newsgroups, etc. Fewer problems that way,
and I REALLY appreciate the power of single apps. With separate apps,
I wouldn't have to worry about surfing problems with Netscape, just
because I might like it for email (I don't).

DE> So the questions I think one would have are:
DE> 1.The cost (hopefully nothing)

Most of the apps I use are not free, but worth it. :-)

DE> 2. How easy is it to replace OE5 with it (can't afford any problems there,
DE> lets just say I am rapidly becoming computer change resistant).

Most single apps are easy to install because they're simpler.

DE> 3. Does it automatically download and notify like OE5?

Most non-web mailers do.

DE> 4. Are there any file size restrictions (AOL has that and have been anoyed
DE> by it in the past).

Most have very few, if any, restrictions. [no way I would consider
AOL]

DE> 5. Other benefits (or cons.

You'll have to make your own judgements here, depending on your
specific needs and desires. Many single apps have much greater power
than all-in-one apps, but if you want just point-and-click, this is
less important.

DE> 6. Do any provide automatic virus protection that would be superior to OE5's
DE> most secure setting (not talking a separate anti-virus software here).

The real point is to get rid of M$ virusware. You still have to be
careful, of course, as most any mailer will allow you to execute a
virus if you insist on doing it. :-)

DE> And also thanks to the indivdual who "thoughtly" sent the
DE> "iloveyou" virus attempt to me in the last 48 hours, under
DE> attempted disquise. Sorry I am very careful about anything I open
DE> from someone I do not recognize, nice try. The mindset of some
DE> people . . . . really.

I get these all the time, but I suspect most are not sent with malice
intended - just the virus doing what it was designed to do. Some,
however, are sent quite deliberately, and with thought put into
deceiving a trader into thinking it is something else. Some people are
just inherently evil.

HTH,

ztrader