My great trading system

Hello omega-list,

  The discussion about when you decide a system is broke and stop
  trading reminded me of a couple of techniques which I employ to help
  me decide whether a system is tradable by me.  I trade intraday so
  with back testing over a couple of years I usually have at least a
  couple hundred trades to look at.  I load those trades from the system report
  of listing of trades into excel and then do a Monte Carlo sort of
  the trades to see how many losses in a row a random Monte Carlo sort
  will come up with.  As a rule of thumb (which probably is
  statistically meaningless) I have found that the maximum number of
  losses in a row per the back testing grows by at least 50%.  So if I have a
  system which back tested over a couple hundred trades and shows
  maximum losses in a row of six, I assume that in real time trading
  it will be at least nine and I won't begin to think the system is
  broke until it exceeds this number.

  I also have found that on a real time trading basis, I can expect
  the largest draw down to be twice the largest shown by back testing.

  If either of these numbers is not within my "trading personality" I
  don't trade the system.

--
Best regards,
 Roger                          mailto:mailrs@xxxxxxxxxx