need some ftp security help

I'm trying to improve ftp security at www.traders2traders.com
<http://www.traders2traders.com> , and I'd appreciate some suggestions. For
example, if "the world" has directory-create and file-write permissions,
what file types should be prevented from being upload? These are perhaps the
obvious: *.bat *.com *.exe *.js *.sys. If I can enforce some rules then the
resource can be better utilized.

I've considered using a web-based file uploader, but it's not as flexible as
an ftp client, and I don't want to introduce a "have to learn something new"
to make use of what is essentially an ftp resource.

Thanks in Advance
Colin West