Off Topic: Speculation during Total War

Well, however the cookie crumbles, the cookie will crumble nonetheless.

I heard a lot about commodity valuation increases during wartime.  But what
about equities during war?  We can speculate on certain technology
companies that will benefit from "this new war on terrorism", by receiving
huge government contracts on spy technologies, for example.  But what other
sectors benefit in wartime?  I'm not talking about a Gulf War-like
event.  I'm talking about a prolonged war that actually effects civilians'
daily lives beyond being merely a spectator sport.