Re: OFF TOPIC: Cable or DSL?

Michael,

I reliably get 1.5 MBit/sec from my
ATT Broadband cable modem for
$43/month.

Compare to DSL which is more like
512-768K for comparable prices.

DSL bandwidth is "guaranteed", whereas the
cable modem can vary depending on
node loading.

The major downside of the cable modem
is the horrendous support if you should have
a problem. You can wait on hold for 40 minutes
only to get a first level drone who knows absolutely
nothing:

Me: "I can ping your gateway, but can't get out any
       further"

Drone: "It must be the network card in your PC"

Me: "I need to speak to a second level person"

Drone: "We have to go through my checklist, fiddle with
             all your network settings, and reboot your
            computer and cable modem several
             times before I am allowed to escalate your
             problem"

Me: "OK, just give me the number so I can talk to the
         local people"

Drone: "I am not allowed to give out that information.
              Besides, our trouble board shows that your
              area is experiencing no problems"

(I obtain the local number of ATT Broadband)

Locals: "Yeah, some yahoo cut the DC3 from Greeley
               to Denver. All of northern Colorado is out.
              The splice truck is there, you should
               be up in about an hour"

Me:        "How is that no-one in your 800 number call
                center knows this?"

Locals: "They're idiots. Their database doesn't work
               at all. The quote users 2 week lead times
               for a truck roll, and we can be there the same
               day"

Me:        "Shouldn't ATT fix this?"

Locals:  "How do you think Michael Armstrong took the
                stock from $60 to $20? On his own ability?"

And you think I am making this up...

Tim