Re: Correction to TS function - 'VolatilityStdDev'

The code needs to include a divide by zero check as follows:

Inputs: NumberDays(Numeric);
Variables: AssetPrice(0), Answer(0), Count(0), AvgDiff(0), SumDiff(0);

If NumberDays - 1 <> 0 then begin

AvgDiff = Average((log(Close[0] / Close[1])), NumberDays);
SumDiff = Summation(((Log(Close[0] / Close[1])) - AvgDiff) * ((Log(Close[0]
/ Close[1])) - AvgDiff), NumberDays);
Answer = (SquareRoot(SumDiff / NumberDays - 1)) *  16 ; {Annualize
Calculation sq root of 256 days}
If Answer <= 0 Then
 Answer = 0;
If Answer >= 2.99 Then
 Answer = 2.99;

VolatilityStdDev = Answer;

end;

If a 1 was entered in for the number of days you would be in trouble.
thanks for your input Brian.

Jim Bronke

TS2000i.
> : The VolatilityStdDev function contains a line which reads 'Answer =
> : (SquareRoot(SumDiff / NumberDays) * SquareRoot(252); {Annualize
> : Calculation}' which should read 'Answer = (SquareRoot(SumDiff /
> : (NumberDays-1))) * SquareRoot(256); {Annualize Calculation - 256 is the
#
> of
> : trading days}'.  Notice the NumberDays now has a -1 after it.  Don't
worry
> : about the change from 252 to 256 right now.
> :
> : I discovered this after comparing Volatility calculations that I had in
> : Excel were not matching what was in TS.  This appears to be the root
cause
> : of the difference and this is the primary difference in our formula
versus
> : TS.  The next task was to determine which fomula was correct.  It
appears
> : our original formula is the accepted method of calculating the
historical
> : volatility based on a centered approach, not TS's.  At least according
> : Active Trader magazine and FutureSource.
> :
> : For what it's worth, this 'little' difference caused some pretty big
> : differences in my numbers.
> :
> : I also change the number used to Annualize the value from 252 to 256.
My