Re: Using the opening and first 5 minutes of the session - Yes or No

Hello  Henry,

HA> I am curious about if any of you traders around here have something
HA> to say about this ?

HA> Some people say that the first few minutes get influenced so much
HA> that you should set your starting time a few minutes later.

if  you  are  trading  a  position  system on lets say the sp500.  the
purity  of  the data is tainted by opening and closing orders.  i know
this  because  i  spent time to test it and make sure it wasn't just a
theory  or  hear  say.  the  results of that revealed some interesting
proprietary numbers, which could be used in daytrading.

HA> I on the other hand think that it's data so i would want it in my
HA> "system".

if  your  system uses the information by all means use it, but carried
to  the  extreme.   we might want to collect data on what type of car,
what  type of food, what type of pants, underware, newspapers, houses,
boats,  shoes,  drinks,  ect.  that  the  guys in the pits, exchanges,
computer  rooms (or computers if electronic trading) you know how much
data  is  good  data?   what data to use is directly correlated to how
your  going to use it and for what purpose.  there is no one size fits
all when it comes to data.

we will have demonic possessed purist who demand tick by tick accuracy
down to the nanosecond,as well as sloppy weekly on close fund managers.
and wonder which one makes the most money on average year after year.

HA> And would there be a difference when talking about this subject
HA> concurning stocks or concuring indexes ? The index ofcourse takes
HA> a maybe a minute or a few minutes before the actual index is made up ?

i  personally  omit the first 30 minutes of the sp and the closing 15
minutes.   i  have  other things to do during those times, i also omit
the  first  40  minutes of the bonds and all the night sessions of all
contracts  unless  i  have a model i am trading specifically for those
sessions.  crazy i know.

--

Have a Great Day, Mark

http://www.markbrown.com