RE: Data swap/comparison

I once heard from someone that some totally wrong data (way out of range
ticks) improved his system's performance...  Why would you really want to
test this data thing:

1) To see which data source to use in order to get best returns from your
system?
2) To prove that your system is robust enough to work with just about any
dirty data out there?

If 2) is the reason for this, here are some crazy ideas that I have
experimented with myself, and think that can be quite good in making sure
the system is robust:

1) Open your data up in Excel and add a percentage of random noise to it.
Experiment with several different percentages to see how far you can go
before your system falls apart.
2) Again in Excel, flip the data around without changing the dates (so that
data for the latest bars comes first and then continues on to the former
earlier dates).  Also you can cut the data into separate pieces and shuffle
them around (leaving the dates/times, of course).
3) Experiment with various different back-adjustment methods (easy with
Unfair Advantage).
4) Make up your own data.  For example take a sine wave, and add a
percentage of random noise to it.  Give it a tick value in $ when opening it
in TS, and run your system on it.  Of course, it is important not to be very
far from the actual market numbers.  Then make up some more complex data -
triangles, squares, etc.in various combinations, and see how your system
would have performed in these conditions.
5) Use a crazy slippage amount.  For example, calculate the average range
for all the bars, and divide it by two.  Convert this number to a $ value
and use as slippage.  If your system is still *consistently* profitable with
something like $500 in slippage in the case of daily Crude Oil (something
I'm working with), it obviously should not be a very bad one.

Hope this helps.  At least it should sound bad enough to relieve some of the
bad-data worries.  ;-)

Ivo