Trading costs in US

Can anyone recommend any brokers in the US. I am trading FTSE futures and
indices but find the spreads too wide which tends to swallow a good % of the
profits.
I am looking into trading DJ and NAZ. I would like to get myself a US $
account as it's already very clear to me that anyone trading UK shares or
the indices is putting themselves at an unneccessary disadvantage with
regards dealing costs. Any comments re: commission, margin and risk would be
appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Robin