RE: Ghost vs partion Magic

dear ivo,

WARNING!  Do NOT use the free installation utility with maxtor and other hd
manufacturers!

this software is maxblast plus.  it is supposed to be an idiot proof
installation software that makes installing a new hd a snap.  only under an
hour to set one up.

the problem is that this software stays on the hd as an intermediate layer
between the bios and the os.  this means that any future alteration of the
hd--for ex, partitioning--is impossible.  effective access to the dos bios
is blocked.  plus there is no uninstall utility with the program [only a
trivial "neutralization" of settings that does not do the trick].  and the
win 98 add/remove does not work either.

having experienced this already with the installation of a maxtor drive,
heed the warning.  the only soln was to reformat the hd, thereby having to
go thru the week's worth of reinstall and checking of programs anyway.
fortunately, i subsequently bought partition magic and now have the
flexibility and reliability that i want.  [which has performed flawlessly]

be careful.  you get what you pay for!

regards,
brad s. yoneoka