Re: RAM Memory Latency

Hello lazar223,
Comments embedded...

lnn>  Today I  purchased some additional memory for my PC. Originally, I
lnn> bought it with PC100/128mm Ram SDRAM. Subsequently, I added 64mm of
lnn> PC133 SDRAM. Both were CAS"2" class memory. The memory that I purchased
lnn> today is 128mm of PC133 SDRAM. Upon installing it, that I found out that
lnn> it is CAS"3" memory. In order to get the PC to run , I changed my BIOS
lnn> setting to CAS "3". I will probably exchange this memory for some which
lnn> is fully compatible to the rest of my memory. My questions are several:

lnn>  1. What does  CAS2 and CAS3 mean? Why should that matter to me in this
lnn> instance?

I had an idea but wanted an exact answer that was factual instead of
an educated guess.  I run my ram at CAS2 (pc133) but it has high
quality chipsets.  Here's an answer someone replied to after I
inquired somewhere else.  The credit does not go to me.

" CAS => Column Address Strobe

It refers to the number of cycles that need to occur between sending
the first part of the address to the memory chip and then sending the
second part. It's measured in clock cycles - so CAS3 memory requires 3
cycles delay while CAS 2 requires two. Performance-wise, running with
CAS2 memory will enable a system-level speedup of approx. 3-5% over
CAS3- although in certain apps (RC5) you will see virtually no speedup
and in others (DiVX encoding) you will see more like 8%.

Running CAS2 memory with CAS3 in automatic mode (ie. the settings are
read from the SPD contained on the memory DIMM) will have the effect
of running both memory sticks at the slower speed (CAS3). If you override
the settings and run both sticks at CAS2 then you are effectively
overclocking the CAS3 memory.

lnn>  2. Will there be any long term effect by running PC100 memory with
lnn> PC133 memory? I was told that PC133 will only default back to the speed
lnn> of the slowest memory.

No long term effects since the pc133 will default to the slowest
memory, hence will be running at pc100.  No biggy here.

lnn> 3. Will there be any long term effect on my PC as a result of changing
lnn> the BIOS setting to CAS3 from CAS2, if I were to decide to leave the
lnn> memory as it is?

No long term effects that I can deduce.  Essentially you're running
under the speed at which your CAS2 is capable of and would not be a
problem.

lnn> Your insight will be most appreciated.

Wouldn't call them 'insights', but if you have any other questions,
please feel free to shot them to the list :-)  Happy Holidays all!

--
Best regards,
 Tai                            mailto:traderarchive@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Shop Safely Online Without a Credit Card
http://www.rocketcash.com