ISDN Routers?

  • To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ISDN Routers?
  • From: "spi" <spi@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:44:47 -0800

There are advantages... and disadvantages in living out here in the middle
of the ocean. Having worked and called for hours and hours and months and
months attempting to get a dsl line.. Ive come to the inevitable conclusion
that ill have a stressa taack with the local phone company if I continue;
therefore I have elected to hook up an ISDN connection as I will ultimately
convert to an Inet real time  feed after having bmi cable for 7+ years,
maybe as soon as January....and need to have some additional peace of mind
with increased bandwidth..

The problem has immediately arisen where I am getting 15 different opinions
by the 15 different ISP's on what to purchase... External router? internal
overlay? I thought trading was bad... any advice on US robotics? Lucent?
3-com.. LAN modem/routers? seems like this is a never ending ruse here...The
lack of expertise here is stupendous... ive got UUNet one one hand telling
me Ive to invest 4K and a local ISP who will privide the 'router software'
for free...

I have three CPU's, and two laptops all fast and dells, 4 phone lines, two
of which are "better' than the others. NONE are curently networked. the
laptops are for 'travelling', but definitely need to be networked as I will
probably purchase a third, to have three screens on the road.

Furthermore, having two cable boxes, one spilt to two cpu's, I look ofrward
to ridding them and Hi monthlies.. to an Inet feed... can I 'split' the
esig/other feed to two or more cpu's with a ISDN setup(router)? or is
something else required?

Many many thanx

Lee aston
hawaii(third world with regard to technology)