Re: Re[2]: The time has arrived for Linux FreeMarket or similar

  • To: Mark Brown <prosys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: The time has arrived for Linux FreeMarket or similar
  • From: Lawrence Chan <stnahc@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:26:27 -0800

building car by hand ...

well, first thing first I have not tried TS online,
can't tell if it works yet ... will find a friend
who is trying it locally here to get some feedback.

then, building something from ground up like
freemarket - doing it now and will see how the
communist model will work out in comparison to
a normal profit driven one (like mine!)

the problem with freemarket is not the idea -
it is the time that it will takes. I have a code
base of working parts that has been in use and
fine tuning for almost 10 years. It still took
2 full time programmers to put it together over
the past 8 months.

if freemarket or any other software program
are going to emerge into a complex trading tool,
I expect no less than 10 to 15 man year of code
to have a working program. So go figure how long
it will take :) would I contribute code to the
freemarket project, probably not if there is
no incentive.

another issue that is very interesting is the
concept of programmability. should the new platform
be programmable in a psuedo langauge like TS,
which is great for real time stability because
if implemented right, all crashes are just
artificial and will not affect the platform's
real time work. On the other hand, having ability
to hook to compiled code have more power and
flexibility. programmer hates psuedo code while
busy traders like stability of the platform ...
TS did a good job in this issue and see how far
the solution providers has taken it to.

--- Mark Brown <markbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello  M.,
>
> MS> NOT TO BE A WISE GUY BUT...not many people are
> building their own cars by
> MS> hand nowadays....
>
> not  to  be  a  wise guy either - the only people
> who build their own
> cars by hand nowadays - ARE THOSE WHO ARE SERIOUS
> ABOUT WINNING!
>
> obviously not recommended for losers... or those
> afraid of failure.
>
> Mark

=====
Lawrence Chan                   http://www.tickquest.com
Innovative Analytical Software for Trading Professionals