RE: Omega Research Launches TradeStation Pro

Yeah, sounds like the same old Omega Research.

When I was using Window On Wall Street, I got free
real time data for a year plus the software for only
$1,500.  It wasn't the greatest real-time trading
engine in the world (didn't have systems but they
did have alerts/indicators and a minimal scanning
engine) but hey... the price wasn't bad for what
you got at the time.

$300 / month is outrageous considering the past
history of Omega products and what's available
these days.  Frankly I can get by using free or
cheap data sources and systems.  Is this package
going to significantly improve my trading?

Trade Station Pro is a thickly gilded lilly.

Omega products seem to exist between worlds: too
lame for the big boy money managers/traders and
too expensive for Joe stock trader.  This product
might appeal to system writers (who like EZ Langauge)
or at home traders, but clearly its a niche market.

I'm really pleased with Supercharts because frankly
I get a lot for the one-time purchase price of what...
$400 back in 1993?  All I loose is the Power Editor
and a real-time feed but that's fine.  Too much
sophistication can obscure the goals of trading.

I think web-based services are highly overrated.
I used to subscribe to Telescan and Wall Street City.
Both sucked.  Telescan PC based software was full
of bugs.  Wall Street City was ok, but the only thing
unqiue about it was Prosearch but the Java-based interface
on the web was slow and buggy.  And the scanning
engine just wasn't flexible enough.

The move to ASP/web-based subscription services is a
good business model, but there's no way that the
technology can live up to the promise (IMHO). And
at $300 / month I'm disinterested in finding out.

Remember when options were the trading instrument
du jour?  Enter "Options Station" (yawn).  Now
Omega is moving to the web.  Well you have to give
them credit for identifying their market, if not
living up to the promise.

- John