Re: Freemarket

To reduce the misinformation about this product I am sending the
following.  If you want more information, download the code and take a
look for yourself.  (I did and this is what I found).

I forgot to add that Freemarket is using a CORBA interface for data.
The following is a quote from the developer's documentation where the
rationale for a Corba interface is defined:

"Define interfaces instead of dependencies.

By doing this we hope to not be limited to or restricted by a
particular
implementation.  If someone doesn't like the use of Qt as a graphical
toolkit,
by following the API it should be easy to code a Gnome equivalent.
Same
thing for the current implementation of the daily database using
Mysql.
Right now the API is implemented using CORBA, but it should be easy to
implement the interfaces using a C network API instead.  We chose to
use
CORBA because it is has an easy-to-use IDL language and it enforces an
object-oriented distributed network model.  It will be far easier to
start
with CORBA and later add in a C layer than the other way around!"

more about data sources

"Universe Server
---------------
This directory will contain Corba servers which query known web based
stock screening tools for universes of symbols based on search
criteria which the client can specify, or can be hard coded into a
.rc file."

>From the documentation that comes with the code I see Datek, Island,
Yahoo (using Perl, not Python) and a Corba IDL definition.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I don't know the authorof Freeware
or Mark Brown, I bought Traderware, I own Tradestation and have a
concern about it's future like so many others on this list.

I just want to set a stop to limit my downside risk in this (software)
market :)

Regards,
Ed Winters