Wihndows 98 and Serial ports

There was/is a bug in windows 98 so I've heard or read on here once. Win/98
made connections using a cable data feed to the serial port but wasn't as
solid, stable than Win/95 from my experience. I search for a fix at
MS.  Didn't see anything concerning this win98 bug port problem or any fix
patches..
Anybody else deal effectively with this issue. I would appreciate knowing
what you did about it. Public or private reply your preference.  Thanks

Robert