BMI/Cable Bad Packet Count

First a bad time, now this.  I would like to know if anyone else is seeing
what I'm seeing wrt bad packets.

I'm on BMI/cable and the count of bad packets has dramatically increased in
the last 24 hours.  It has been getting somewhat worse gradually for several
months now, but it REALLY degraded over the last 11 hours.  The count
increased by 9000 (!) over the 11-hour period starting at 8:00 pm last
night, California time.  I tried both the AMC and the CSPAN channels and got
similar results on both.

For those of you who may not know how to find this count, the procedure is
as follows:

1. Reset the menu on the receiver display screen by pressing the "cancel"
button several times until the screen reads "Main Menu: 1) Diagnostics.

2. Press the "enter" button.  The screen reads "Diagnostics: 1) Tuner".

3. Press the right-arrow button until the blinking cursor is on "5) PPC".

4. Press the "enter" button and the screen will show "Tot Pkts=" and a
number which will be counting up rapidly, and "Bad Pkts=" and a number which
should normally count up by one occasionally.

I generally leave the display set to this screen so I can check the bad-pkt
count occasionally.

Please let me know what you find.  Thanks.

Carroll Slemaker