From: Jack Griffin
To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, November 24, 2000 12:06 PM
Subject: Holy Grail Platform -- Best way to do free-form realtime analysis?

Hello all.  I am interested in getting some general
guidance.

I want to do some realtime data analysis and
number crunching of various stocks.  Also, I want to
analyze trades without ANY constraints. (I don't want
my analysis to be boxed in by what someone else
decided long ago was the important stuff to look
at.)  In the event (I should say "unlikely event", if
my previous trading skills are any guidance) that I
ever devise a really profitable system I would like to
program my computer to place trades for me and head
off
to the beach.

I've run TradeStation and Metastock, but I am
worried they are too constraining.  For instance, a
recent post discusses exporting data to Excel.  If the
programs are so versatile this would not be
worthwhile.  Is this reasoning sound?  So far, it
seems that the best way to have the sort of "direct
access" to realtime data would indeed be with the
Excel spreadsheet program. I was told Qfeed could be
used to import intra-day data.  Finally, if things
work out and I find something that makes $$, I could
use Visual Basic to automatically place market orders
for me.  So it seems like the best path might be with
using Excel rather than Tradestation.

Is this thinking reasonable? Am I totally missing
anything? Is there a cheaper competitor of Qfeed? Any
tips or guidance would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Jack