Cheap Real Time Data

Take note of Quicken's monthly real time data prices
(equities/indices/options - no futures): 19.95 for 50 symbols, 34.95 for 150
symbols, 54.95 for 500 symbols.  Includes basic but usable chart/quote
software.  Not usable by Ts but I think the data can be feed into Excel via
DDE.  Makes me wonder about the future of Omega [currently beta testing
TsPro] who will attempt to sell data for 99 p/m incl the online version of
Ts.  The Quickens of the world will get better and competition will keep
Omega struggling I would think.

http://www.quicken.com/quickenquoteslive/

My point is the cost of real time data is coming down. You can already get
free rt data on a basic quote page from Datek and other sources.  When the
massive bandwidth that is under development arrives in a few years data will
be even cheaper.  I continue to predict it will become free.  Trading is the
only situation I know where you have to pay to find out the price of what
you want to buy.  To me that is absurd.  Ultimately the exchanges/brokers
will provide data free in an effort to attract traders.  Remember we provide
liquidity.  They can't live without us.  We can live without them.  Just get
a real job :).

Contrary to the tongue in cheek comment of Lawrence Chan a few days back I
love the internet kids and thier downloads of mp3s/mpegs/etc.  These
kids/gamers/even porn vendors and all other wasters of bandwidth are driving
the technology for ever greater bandwidth.  The optical network that is
coming has capacity that is beyond imagination.  LC is definitely correct in
his formula: "public bandwidth = abuse = never enough"  but that merely
tells me to buy internet infrastructure stocks :).

Bill Wood