Arg! Need help resolving 'print' statement discrepancey

I am frustrated. I am working on a strategy that tests for ADX(14) to be
above a certain level (20) before taking action. I am clearly looking at
the chart, and the plot with ADX(14) in there, and I can see that it is
way above 20. If I go to put a print statement in the ADX indicator like
so:

print ("Bar ", CurrentBar, " IND Value1 ", ADX(14));

I get what I would expect, and see that values are above 20

Bar       1.00  IND Value1     100.00
Bar       1.00  IND Value1      59.48
Bar       2.00  IND Value1      59.48
Bar       3.00  IND Value1      57.69
Bar       4.00  IND Value1      57.00
Bar       5.00  IND Value1      54.70
Bar       6.00  IND Value1      51.79
Bar       7.00  IND Value1      49.83
.
.
.

However, in my strategy (signal) The test condition is showing the ADX
value to be below 20 for some reason. This is the print statement in the
signal:

print ("Bar ", CurrentBar, " SIG Value1 ", ADX(14));

Bar       1.00  SIG Value1       8.47
Bar       2.00  SIG Value1       5.26
Bar       3.00  SIG Value1       7.65
Bar       4.00  SIG Value1       9.17
Bar       5.00  SIG Value1       8.37
Bar       6.00  SIG Value1       7.16
Bar       7.00  SIG Value1       7.15
.
.
.

I feel like I am stuck, because I can not complete the strategy knowing
that the ADX comparison is not producing accurate results. I can *see*
that the adx is above 20 in my plot window. Any clues as to what may be
going on here? I have only one chart open in my workspace, with the
ADX(14) plot and  the data for the symbol with a moving average.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Robert