Re: SCSI drives

At 7:30 PM -0400 8/2/00, Kent Rollins wrote:

>Even though Bob's numbers below on the optimization test show that
>the machines with the ATA drives are faster, this is completely due
>to the processor configuration. TS optimization runs do not hit the
>drive so even if you were running from a RAM disk, it would not
>improve the numbers over optimizing off a floppy disk connected thru
>a parallel port. Not impuning Bob and not disputing these figures,
>just pointing this out to all the people who might not know
>otherwise. As always, it's better to have factual information to make
>decisions with than supposition.

You are correct about the TS2000i SP5 optimizations not accessing
disks all that frequently. You can see this in the benchmarks on the
two identical Athlon CPUs which give the same optimization speeds
with much different disk performance.

                                                TS2000i  TS2000i
                                                 SP4c      SP5

Athlon A-750rk  machine***   Win2000             2.3      1.4
Athlon A-750bf  machine****  Win2000                      1.4

***  Ultra ATA66 disk                   26 MB/sec
**** Ultra ATA100 2-disk RAID array     55 MB/sec

I did notice differences on previous builds and with TS4.0 so I
wonder if the speedup from SP4c to SP5 was due to more optimum disk
usage.

Sorry if there was confusion. My message was that Ultra ATA/100
drives seem a lot faster than the more expensive SCSI drives - at
least at this point in time.

>btw Bob, what are the "rk" and "bf" designations on the Athlons?

These were both custom-built machines built by "rk". The "bf" machine
was mine and the "rk" machine was his. We were trying to build the
fastest, reasonable-cost machine we could, mostly for the fun of
learning how to do it but also to see how fast we could get
TradeStation to run optimizations.

Bob Fulks