Problems with stops

I hop I can state this so my problem is understood.

I trade stocks using a signal such as this:

If x then buy at H[1] + y stop:

y is a percentage of the stock price that I optimized on past data.

The problem I'm having is this.  If the conditions(x) are met but the
stop(y)isn't reached, the long position is not entered and a new stop is
recalculated based on that current bar which becomes H[1].  Sometimes I find
myself chasing a stock while its going up and the stop is never hit or its
hit after the stock has gone up several points.  A smaller stop would
obviously help but it doesn't work in backtesting.  Is there any way of
writing the system using a stop based on the first or second bar after the
buy signal is given? (Did I make myself clear?)  Is this workable or is it
just wishful thinking?

Thanks,

Barry